COVID-19 Update - Latest on Filming in Kenya
Updated June 20th 2021
To what extend can you operate productions in your country?
- Filming is allowed on public & private property and studios with small crew across Kenya.
- Travel between cities/counties outside Nairobi is allowed from 7th July 2020, however there is a National wide curfew from 10.00pm that means filming will be restricted and only be possible from 05.00am to 9.00pm.
- Filming in public spaces is possible but is dependent on the location, number of film crew involved and how filming can be controlled without interference and interaction with the general public.
- The Kenya Government has through the Kenya Film Commission issued Health and safety regulations/protocols guidelines to be followed by film crews.
- Casting is possible by Self-tape.
Is crew available and will crew show up?
- Yes, crew available and crew will show up.
Are vendors open and how is public life affected?
- Equipment rentals Camera, Lights and Grip are open and can supply equipment and crew.
- Props and wardrobe are available.
- In general, shops, Pharmacies, Petrol stations, banks, supermarkets, stores are open until 8.00pm.
- Food is mainly take-away only but there are some In-house dining restaurants with licenses to operate all day until 9PM. The restaurants have an operating permit in accordance with the Health Ministry’s COVID-19 protocol guidelines.
- Catering on set shall be packed boxes
- Pick-up and delivery services are available.
- Transport is limited to half capacity of the registered vehicle passenger ferrying capacity.
- Compulsory wearing of Masks that cover Mouth and Nose, temperature testing at all points and sanitizers/hand washing points.
How stringent are governmental restrictions on groups of people?
- Social distancing of 1.5m must be maintained.
- Compulsory mouth masks, protective gear / clothing to be worn.
- Temperature testing at all entry points.
- Compulsory cleaning of hands with sanitizer or water and soap.
What incoming/outgoing travel restrictions or quarantine regulations are active?
- International passenger flights in and out of Kenya resumed 1st August 2020, some of the International airlines arriving in Kenya are Kenya Airways, KLM, Air France, British Airways, Qatar Airways, Luftansa.
- All passengers are subject to the following on arrival:
- - The passenger does not have a body temperature above 37.5°C (99.5°F)
- - The passenger does not have a persistent cough, difficulty breathing or other flu-like symptoms
- - Travel restricted to 10.00PM to 4.00AM only.
- - The Kenyan government released an updated list of nations and territories whose citizens/travelers are not subject to the mandatory 14-day quarantine period after arriving in the country on international flights. The list includes about 125 countries. Review of countries from which travelers will not be required to be quarantined upon arrival will be undertaken by Ministry of Health on day to day basis and subject to change.
- Domestic Flights resumed from 15th July 2020
- Travel within Kenya is allowed
- Travel restricted to 10.00PM to 4.00AM only.
Can you support remote feed projects?
- Yes, through Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams or any application that is compatible to the production team.
If you think your project is a possible match for KENYA, please do not hesitate to get in touch to evaluate the current possibilities for filming and photographing in Kenya please drop us a line at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . We are happy to support you with budgets or suggestions for local creative talent.
Blue Sky Films Africa is a proud member of the Global Production Network.
Stay Safe and Healthy